Kendrick Recruitment is now seeking a passionate and diverse Chef Tournant for a beautiful Hotel based in Sandton. The Chef Tournant will act as a floating or relief chef who is supervised by the Executive Chef and can be assigned to work in all areas of the establishment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Always be present during service times; check constantly on food quality and presentation.
• Writing and or assisting the Executive Chef and Senior Sous Chef with writing of daily menus and doing the costing recipes and mailing them to the cost controller in time
• Check the event folder and ensure that you have the correct event menu
• Prep the mise en place for the menu
• Discuss the plates required for the event with the Executive Chef and ensure that the Restaurant Manager is informed of needs and that the correct plates are polished and available for special functions
• Running the Kitchen effectively when the Executive Chef and Senior Sous Chef is absent
• Responsible for monthly stock takes of kitchen operational equipment and the achievement of budgeted targets
• Monitoring the Junior members of the brigade and ensuring that the mise en place is up to standard
Skills required for this role include:
• Well organised
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent time management
• Team work
• Extensive Culinary knowledge
To be considered you will also need the following abilities:
• Ability to work alone and as part of a team
• Ability to speak to guests and make menu suggestions to them
• Write emails to guests, recipes and legible handovers
• Run the kitchen during service i.e. coordinate the pass and monitor the dishes
• Has extensive kitchen knowledge able to do Pastry, Meat, Fish and Sauces
• Able to teach the junior members of staff techniques needed to prepare menu items
• Able to self motivate
• Able to develop menus and to do menu costing
To be considered you must have:
• Computer literacy, including Word, Excel, Outlook
• Knowledge of HACCP and Hygiene – Maintain the highest possible standards of health and safety regulations in your areas of responsibility
• Some travel experience beneficial
• Pro-Active – Does not need to be told what to do.
• Experience in stock control, including stock take and ordering, admin
• Formal cookery school qualification
• 5 years previous experience in a traditional kitchen as a qualified chef, must include hotel experience in similar environment.
• At least 1 year as a Sous Chef in a 5* hotel
Package offered for this role is competitive, for more information get in touch with your CV, References and Food Pictures… Good Luck!