Kendrick Recruitment are seeking a Chef/Restaurant Manager for an animal park situated in the Winelands, Western Cape.
This is a well-established visitor centre with a family restaurant focusing on Italian style wood fire pizzas, picnics, light meals, barbeques, function/group style menu. The restaurant currently operates 9 to 5 following the visitor centre operating hours. Salary will depend on experience but will range from R8 000 to R12 000 per month.
Candidate will be responsible for managing entire food preparation and staff in the kitchen and ensuring that the restaurant delivers high-quality, value for money food and beverage, developing seasonal menu tweaks, standard function meals using quality local and seasonal ingredient, within healthy food cost parameters.
- Must have 5 years’ restaurant chef experience; including experience with wood fire pizza oven.
- Must live close to the working area.
- Must have food cost skills; preferably POS recipe programming skills.
- Must have training abilities.
- Must have excellent staff organisational skills.
- Should enjoy and embrace the company’s ethos; offering a wholesome, approachable, friendly, uniquely South African experience to all visitors.
- Maintaining good relations and working closely with staff and front of house manager to ensure good communication between all staff during shifts.
- Coordinating the entire food offer preparation in kitchen.
- Heading the food preparation, and organizing/training support in the form of current kitchen team.
- Establishing industry standard food preparation and food storage and handling procedures in kitchen.
- Ensuring good practice is followed in all food handling
- Establishing good flow in the kitchen between work stations, suggesting modifications to structural layout and assisting in supervising renovations and scheduled improvements.
- Ensuring meal preps follow the rhythm of the other activities in the center.
- Establishing standard food portioning and ensuring adherence to this standard to minimize food cost
- Continuing popular items on current menu, developing menu tweaks that follow current food trends; are in sync with our current client expectations, and complements the other activities in the visitor center.
- Presenting meal items optimally and creatively to enhance customer experience
- Training cooks accordingly.
- Prioritizing the minimizing of food cost through planning, analyzing sales reports closely and using these in planning stock orders and food preparations.
- Executing low key maintenance, overseeing scheduled / maintenance improvements to kitchen lay out and appliances.
- Designing standard group meal packages for functions of various kinds; training recipe preps for these meals.
- Analyzing restaurant sales levels and profitability per our standard reporting procedures – completing daily ‘’at a glance’’ reports, or developing improved reporting procedures.
- Planning and working per budgets, maximizing profits and achieving sales.
- Programming of (or assisting chef with programming of) recipes on POS Inventory module, so as enable weekly accurate inventory checks and ensure accurate food cost calculations.
- Assisting owners in recruiting new staff where needed – mainly pizza skilled
- Training and developing existing staff as needed. Training menu items preps, as well as assist front of house staff with proper drink preps.
- Ensuring that standards of hygiene are maintained and that the restaurant complies with health and safety regulations.
- Directly responsible for kitchen staff performance
- Allocation of staff to different food stations; ensuring flexibility and cross training
- Organizing and supervising the shifts of kitchen staff, within wage budget parameters.
- Checking stock levels and ordering supplies. Collecting supplies where needed (restaurant sources ingredients also from local farm suppliers).
- Ensuring and organizing excellent food storage / defrosting / prep procedures.
- Ensuring minimal waste through thorough planning and developing menu dishes that minimizes food waste.
Food preparation, appliances, and cleaning procedures
- Ensuring al food prep appliances are in good repair and adequate for preparation of menu items.
- Ensuring all food prep areas are cleaned daily after food service.
- Ensuring all appliances, food storage areas, fridges and freezers, walls, scullery area, trash can areas are deep cleaned weekly; draw up and adhere to a Doing and overseeing daily/weekly/monthly appliance cleaning.
If you feel that you are up for the challenge and you meet the minimum requirements mentioned above, then send us your CV today! Good Luck…